Fast, simple, and soooo flavorful, these burgers are a surefire crowd pleaser! I love making this recipe in bulk so I can freeze the uneaten patties, though they have yet to last longer than 2 days in my house. (What’s wrong with burgers for breakfast? My point exactly.) If you are worried about the commitment, cut the recipe in half. And have fun with it- add corn, cilantro or roasted red peppers. Try it with a vegan chipotle mayo. Top with creamy avocado and freshly sliced tomato. You can even stir fry crumbed patty bits for a ground beef substitute to enjoy in burritos. The best part is that these chipotle black bean burgers are vegan, gluten free, low fat, and high in protein, so you can feel good about eating them!
chipotle black bean burgers
vegan recipes | yields about 10 two inch patties
2 1/3 cups cooked quinoa
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped into quarters
8 sundried tomatoes
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 small green pepper, chopped into quarters
1/4 cup water
1 large dry chipotle pepper, diced (remove seeds to reduce heat)
3/8 cup + 1/2 tablespoons flax meal, soaked in enough water to cover
3/8 cup nutritional yeast
2 1/2 tablespoons cumin powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons sea salt
2 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1. Soak flax meal in water for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (You want an egg-like consistency.) Preheat over to 375 degrees.
2. In a food processor, finely chop garlic, onion, green and chipotle peppers, and sundried tomatoes. Add 2 1/3 cups black beans and process until mashed.
3. Empty contents from food processor into a large bowl and add spices, soaked flax meal, nutritional yeast, quinoa, and remaining black beans. Mix thoroughly. If necessary, add water. You are going for a thick paste that will hold its shape.
4. Taste test time! How are they? I like mine spicy! Please note that flavors will mild out once cooked. Make alterations if necessary.
5. Divide mixture into 10 patties and place on an oiled baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Enjoy on toasted bread with your choice of toppings. Yum!